Sunday, February 29, 2004

Leslie Nielsen Takes Home Best Actor Oscar for Scary Movie 3

Leslie Nielsen; photo courtesy of Internet Movie DatabaseSurprising film critics, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and the worldwide viewership of the 76th Oscar Awards ceremony, Leslie Nielsen, best known for the Naked Gun series, received the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance as the President of the United States in Scary Movie 3.A hush came over the crowd at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood when the announcement was made for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role. Some hesistant clapping was heard few seconds, but seemingly forever later, as actor Leslie Nielsen made his way to the stage to accept the award.

"I don't know what to say," Nielsen spoke into the microphone. "I don't even remember being nominated for Best Actor this year. Not since my performance in Surf Ninjas have I ever been so honored.

"I'd like to thank Jerry Zucker, for casting me in the Naked Gun movies, helping to solidify my big screen comedy career, my family, my friends, and my Scary Movie 3 fellow actors Method Man and Master P. Right on, dawgs. Yeah."

The other nominees for Best Actor expressed confusion; Nielsen's name was not among the list of nominees circulated to Academy members. Academy officials have announced that Nielsen won the honor by receiving an overwhelming number of write-in votes.